A New Year and new beginnings. Here are some helpful study tips for you and your child to practice this new year.
Start a habit: Encourage your child to treat studying as a daily assignment, not just something he does the evening before a test. For example, he might study 15 minutes every night for a spelling test on Friday. After he finishes his regular homework, he can spend a little time reviewing his notes and handouts for other subjects.
“What’s in your backpack?” Greet your child with this question, and you’ll discover a lot about what she does in class.
- Set aside time each day to go through their papers.
- Try to do it first thing after school when their day is fresh in their mind.
- Look over your child’s work together and help them with tips in case something is not right.
- Help them feel proud by making a specific comment about something they have done.
- Have them talk through math problems or other work to show you what they have.